Tag Archives: Biscuit’s blanket

Biscuit’s Blanket

14 Aug

IMG_0172

I know you’ve all been waiting with baited breath to see how this turned out. Truth be told, I kind of was too! My goal was to have it finished by his second birthday, and I cut it pretty close to the wire. As in, I wove in the last ends and trimmed them off the night before his birthday. So now he has a sweet blanket that he can’t use for several more months because we live in the South and it’s summer and there is absolutely no need for wool in the summer.

IMG_0174

 

At the start I had planned on knitting a bunch of mitered squares and then sewing them together when I had enough. Fortunately, Katie convinced me to just pick up and knit each square, which probably saved me time and helped me meet my goal. Each square was a pretty quick knit, but man, it was a boring project.

When I finally finished, I did a little finagling to get the edges all lined up, then did 2 rows of single crochet around the edges to make it really finished. During the process I was afraid it would turn out a bit too purple, but the colors blended really nicely and I am pleased with the finished result.

IMG_0173

 

 

The important thing is that Biscuit likes it! I couldn’t work on it in front of him, or he would insist on having it draped on him or wrapped around him. I took it on our trip to the beach, and didn’t get to work on it the entire car ride, because it was tucked around his little legs while he swung them happily and patted his belly, smiling about “my own blanket.” Hopefully he gets lots of use out of it this winter, either keeping him warm in bed or wrapped around him in the car for the trip to school on cold days.

IMG_0176

 

Started: September 20, 2013

Finished: July 11, 2014 (Hey! Less than a year!)

Yarn: Knit Picks Worsted Chroma, colorway Rainbow; Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Worsted, colorway Cloud

 

Advertisements

A productive and crafty morning

18 Jun

This morning started out pretty poorly, what with Biscuit being ornery and me having to make an extra trip home after dropping the kids off at school because I didn’t bring water play clothes for Coco. So I was in a pretty grumpy mood by 8:45 am. Fortunatley, as the saying goes, music soothes the savage beast, and rocking to some tunes while pounding out 5 miles of speed work on the beautiful greenway did, in fact, raise my spirits. When I got home I began to execute a plan that has been fermenting in my brain for awhile. See, I have this really strange desire to learn how to cross stitch. But since I don’t know how, I decided that I really need to do some more embroidery. I did a tiny bit ages ago and really like it, and now I want to do more. Probably because I’m tired of working on Biscuit’s “baby” blanket. Which, by the way, looks like this now:

6.5 squares to go!

6.5 squares to go!

This Genius and Terrific Idea is to make little embroidered quilt squares with the kid’s names on them. Originally I thought to just hang them in their rooms, but I think it might be even cuter to hang them on the wall outside their room. A sort of “This room belongs to:” type thing, only more colorful and fun. At least until they are old enough to be embarrassed by the stuff their mom makes for them. I dug through my old fabric pieces and found some odds and ends of blue batik that works for Biscuit. Bonus: I already have blue embroidery floss that perfectly coordinates. Score 1 for me. Buried even further down were some leftovers from Coco’s baby blanket. I laid out some patterns.

A piece-y mess

A piece-y mess

Not so messy

Not so messy

For Biscuit’s I just went for random placement of pieces that would yield a rectangle. For Coco’s the goal was even color distribution. I dug out and dusted off my sewing machine, which has sat in a closet for about a year now. Then I sewed and I pressed and I sewed and I pressed and after about 30 minutes I had these two cute little quilt squares.

I like it!

Much neater, and Coco will love it. Because it has pink.

Much neater, and Coco will love it. Because it has pink.

The plan is to embroider the kid’s names on them and frame them, but not to actually quilt them up. Although I was attempting to make them 8X10, they both turned out slightly larger. Eventually I’ll have to trim them to fit a frame, but for now, I’m leaving them. Now I just have to brush up on my embroidery skills and get to work! This will either take a matter of weeks, or a year. Here’s hoping for the former.

%d bloggers like this: