This morning started out pretty poorly, what with Biscuit being ornery and me having to make an extra trip home after dropping the kids off at school because I didn’t bring water play clothes for Coco. So I was in a pretty grumpy mood by 8:45 am. Fortunatley, as the saying goes, music soothes the savage beast, and rocking to some tunes while pounding out 5 miles of speed work on the beautiful greenway did, in fact, raise my spirits. When I got home I began to execute a plan that has been fermenting in my brain for awhile. See, I have this really strange desire to learn how to cross stitch. But since I don’t know how, I decided that I really need to do some more embroidery. I did a tiny bit ages ago and really like it, and now I want to do more. Probably because I’m tired of working on Biscuit’s “baby” blanket. Which, by the way, looks like this now:
This Genius and Terrific Idea is to make little embroidered quilt squares with the kid’s names on them. Originally I thought to just hang them in their rooms, but I think it might be even cuter to hang them on the wall outside their room. A sort of “This room belongs to:” type thing, only more colorful and fun. At least until they are old enough to be embarrassed by the stuff their mom makes for them. I dug through my old fabric pieces and found some odds and ends of blue batik that works for Biscuit. Bonus: I already have blue embroidery floss that perfectly coordinates. Score 1 for me. Buried even further down were some leftovers from Coco’s baby blanket. I laid out some patterns.
For Biscuit’s I just went for random placement of pieces that would yield a rectangle. For Coco’s the goal was even color distribution. I dug out and dusted off my sewing machine, which has sat in a closet for about a year now. Then I sewed and I pressed and I sewed and I pressed and after about 30 minutes I had these two cute little quilt squares.
The plan is to embroider the kid’s names on them and frame them, but not to actually quilt them up. Although I was attempting to make them 8X10, they both turned out slightly larger. Eventually I’ll have to trim them to fit a frame, but for now, I’m leaving them. Now I just have to brush up on my embroidery skills and get to work! This will either take a matter of weeks, or a year. Here’s hoping for the former.