Our good friends, J & K and their adorable daughter LuLu came by Sunday night for a visit. They live in the town in NC we used to live in, about an hour and a half away from here, but were in town visiting several people. We were super happy to see them, and not just because they brought us the glider.
Anyway, it’s only nice to have something for people to eat when they come to visit, right? If that’s not a general rule of etiquette, it really should be. It will be in my house from now on, anyway. For some strange reason I decided to make homemade ice cream. Not something we make very often, but something GP and I both love.
The latest issue of Food Network Magazine has some recipes from past winners of the Austin Ice Cream festival/contest. GP’s favorite flavor is strawberry, so that’s what I made. Here’s how it went:
- Make a special trip to the store to buy the necessary items.
- Spend about 10 minutes mashing strawberries and assembling the base.
- Put ice cream maker together.
- Layer ice and rock salt, try not to make a mess.
- Plug in ice cream maker.
- Decide something is wrong with outlet.
- Try several more outlets.
- Decide ice cream maker has died in the 7 years and 5 moves since purchase.
- Send GP out to buy a new one.
- Go to one store. 2 stores. 3 stores. Maybe a 4th store, I really can’t remember.
- Finally come back with new ice cream maker.
- Transfer everything over.
- Plug in.
- Do happy dance because new one works!
- Eat delicious ice cream.
- Eat some more while sharing with friends!
You can find a link to the recipe here, but I’m sharing it below as well! (I doubled it, as we have a 4 quart ice cream maker and because we love ice cream like it’s going to provide world peace one day).
Strawberry-Soda Ice Cream
1 cup strawberries, mashed
1.5 C half and half
1/2 C heavy cream
1can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 C red cream soda (like Big Red) or regular cream soda
Mix it all together and put it in your ice cream maker! Easy peasy and oh-so delicious!