Moving day come and gone

14 Jun

Updates first: We have the house mostly under control. We still have some unpacking and setting up to do, but there are always those few little things that get forgotten or aren’t pressing so get put off until later. But we are in a fully livable set up now, and we are really happy with the place. 

My phone interview on Friday went really well! So well that they called and asked me to come in for an in person interview on next Monday! I’m excited because I think it would be a great job, but a bit worried that they will want someone to start immediately. And I’m 8 months pregnant. Starting immediately would be kind of a waste of time. All I can do is hope they like me enough to wait for me to be ready to start!

Now, on to the trip from Louisiana to North Carolina!

We got the moving truck all loaded up over a weekend and spent the next few nights sleeping on air mattresses. Mom came in to help us with Coco while we packed and to help share the driving burden. She was great! Mom (Nana, as the grandkids call her) and Coco went to the park and played while we did most of the truck loading, freeing up our hands and keeping Coco from needing to be held or right by our sides every minute. 

On Monday we headed out! Mom, Coco, the cat and I loaded into my car with all the little things that we couldn’t cram into the moving truck (that thing was packed tighter than, well, I dunno, something else packed really tight). GP and the dog hopped in the truck, and we were on our way!

Coco was great for both days of the drive. Oh, we had a few cranky moments, and naps were either short or non-existent, but with the help of the iPad (a generous parting gift from my boss) and some movies, most of the time was pleasantly passed like this:


I was a bit more worried about how Soup would do. He’s usually really great on car rides, but he’s never ridden with Coco before. Fortunately he did great as well, and spent most of his time sleeping in the floor.


We all took some naps in the car. Sadly for GP, Clark wasn’t much help with the driving, since he lacks opposable thumbs and can’t reach the pedals. Also, he’s a dog. So GP wound up driving the entire way all by his lonesome. We had walkie talkies to keep in touch and made lots of stops (hello, 8 months pregnant here!) so sleepiness never became an issue for him. For us gals, yes.


We stopped just past Atlanta for the night and started out around 10:00 the next morning. The majority of the driving was behind us, and we were looking forward to being really home by the early evening. Things went smoothly up until the last hour or so, when Coco realized she’d been strapped in a car for 2 days and decided watching Movie Puppies (101 Dalmations, which we watched about 3 times) was no longer cutting it. In a last ditch effort to keep her happy and Mom and me sane, I let her play with my hair. 


It may have hurt some, and definitely needed brushing, but it beat listening to a screaming 22 month old for an hour!

Finally, we arrived, got out of the car, assessed the place, and ordered pizza. We got Coco off to bed and were about to crash ourselves when we noticed the roach infestation. Which is a story for another day. 


2 Responses to “Moving day come and gone”

  1. Kristen June 14, 2012 at 9:40 am #

    I hope the roach situation is getting under control by now. I bet Soup & Stu are having a blast with that. So, now that you’re back in NC can we start making plans for SAFF?!? Can’t wait to see you again!

    • Gena June 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

      Yes! When is SAFF this year? I would totally love to go!


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: