Coco is in disposable diapers at daycare, but we use cloth at home. I know you make think we’re strange hippy type people, which we kind of are, but we did lots of research and decided this was the best choice for little Coco’s bum. We use Bum Genius 4.0, and we love them! Cloth diapers have come a long way from what my Mom used, if she even used them. They’ve come even farther from what her mother used!
Modern cloth diapers look and work pretty much like disposables, only you wash them and reuse them. Sadly, after a while, they do start to wear out and some things need replacing. Coco’s needed new velcro closures to keep them on. The velcro had worn out and as she walked the diaper would come undone! Sometimes she would let us know and we could fix it, but sometimes she would try to surreptitiously pull the diaper off. The breaking point for us came after a few too many mornings of lifting a soaking wet baby out of her crib.
For a whole $1 you get: new leg elastics, new velcro closures, and new laundry tabs (you fold the closure onto this when you wash them – keeps the diapers from sticking to each other in the machine)!
We bought enough to fix our diapers and a few extras, just in case. So far the elastic and laundry tabs are holding up, so all I had to replace were the closure tabs.
It was surprisingly easy after I learned a few tricks.
1. Velcro is easier to sew on using the zipper foot than the regular presser foot. I have no idea why, but I read this on a blog somewhere and it saved my sanity! Also, and it probably doesn’t need saying, use a heavy duty needle.
2. You will have to adjust your tension like crazy when sewing through 2 layers of velcro and a thick layer of diaper. Tension on both the needle and bobbin will have to be fiddled with.
3. Use a very sturdy thread. The only white thread I had was old and kinda wimpy, and it broke often. It didn’t slow me down too much, but it is soooooo annoying to have to start and stop multiple times when sewing a little 2-inch piece of something.
I did a few each night and had them all done in about 4 or 5 days. After finishing those I modified a skirt and starting piecing together a new quilt! I love having the machine out, but I need a better place for it than the dining room table. GP suggested that whenever we have a house I make one room into a craft room. Seriously, he said that. I’m holding him to it.